Friday, May 30, 2008

Guitar Gods Part II - Slow Hand

oh yeah i have an SG but not that one----

So last time out i devoted to another well-who-cares-about-what-this-guy-likes as "guitar heroes list"--but as promised #2---Mr EC.

I'm 54 years old --basically as old as rock and roll-so i've witnessed--the history--
Jimi as number one-wow some say--(not me)"short career-drugs-had he peaked?"--but 2-on MY list---eric clapton--yes we named our son-the combo-Eric James Marshall--old hippies don't---(well you know)--

Where I grew up--area called Olney-here in Philly--in the 60's--first of all--there was only a/m radio--so hearing Yardbirds-especially Clapton's era--sometimes to get bands --especially English groups--you had to order them at a record store---so thru word of mouth--hey these two brothers are in this band you should go to their garage after school--and they play this English blues stuff---it was my first hearing of it---and i loved it.

Yeah I'm American--know blues is ours--but just like--you hear Jimi's "guitar voice"-and know its him--Clapton's "guitar voice"--is equally unique--beyond the early Yardbirds ---the John Mayall album---uh-if--"Hideaway"and "Steppin' Out"--don't move ya---well--check your pulse-
are you breathing????------that roar-crunch-screaming les paul-thru marshall full tilt-just peels
my scalp off every--listen--even to this day.

Has a solo ever make you cry??

Well, first time i heard "While my Guitar"---was on a transitor-tinyass-radio--
and I cried--

Sometimes music can do that to you-

And so I never got to see "Cream"-"Blind Faith"-Derek-Delaney and/or Bonnie---at least --not live...but I've seen Eric --frequently--

In Roger Waters band-with Mark Knopfler-Albert Lee-Gary Brooker-do i need to list em all--???

We took both eric and julie to see him when they were young-they got to see many "greats"--at young ages----(maybe the answer to question---"what did you feed them")

Another reason this guy makes high on my list--is--we share some demons--and actually--a biography i read while i was at valleyforge rehab--back in the 80's---his "story"really helped me understand me---

Alright back to music--this guy just --well i don't know how else to explain--but---plays his ass off--

With all the "sit-ins"--he's done--he may be the only guitarist--beyond ADRIAN BELEW--who has jammed-sidemanned--sat in--with more or on more recordings

One of my faves--is billy preston's--'that's the way god planned it'--a record produced by george harrison--eric and billy--on the title track--toward the end--go to this "trade-off"of solo's
it's----f/n wonderful---but like i was saying about-"voices"---clapton's remains a killer.

Steve winwood's newest--features a great dose--of slowhand--still sounding awesome--
and the first time i heard it---you knew it was him--(clapton)----and they still sound great together.

Here's a killer-- his solo on "presence of the lord"--(blind faith)---and--on "goodbye cream"----all the live stuff-especially Sitting on top of the world--"live cream--1&2--"
Deserted cities of the heart--Tales of brave ulyses---i can continue----
but--you see--i've seen him play fairly recently--loved his bb king---jj cale releases---along with the cream----reunion---the guy still plays---and with amazing chops---
so----he's mumber two---still alive--still performing-------------
still being amazing--------i could go on and about him------

if you don't agree------"oh well"---

no that's Peter Green------

Hey--friends--i have to apologize---i've slacked off this blog----for a while----
actually started writing about first two thirds---of this---end of february----
lotttttttaaaaa stufff----and as john lennon said--"life is what happens-while you're busy making plans"

so next post very shortly--NUMBER THREE---ummm three-(hint)---trio----like--3
awwwww----(another hint)----greg davis agrees------------

peace-love-----gary

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Tickledrop said...

Okay. Let me just say that I love love love Peter Green. He's featured on that show I mentioned in the last thread.

I love all the same music. It's what I was raised up on... like my mama's chicken 'n dumplings or beans and cornbread. It's what makes me.

It is always a pleasure to read your thoughts. And I'll second that toast!!

xo

May 30, 2008 at 10:34 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home